Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mother Nature, in all her glory!

So have I mentioned that I live in California? I just wanted to preface this post with that statement. Yesterday we were on full on lockdown due to tornado warnings. HUH??? My phone even went off with the obnoxious weather warning - which quite frankly is much scarier than what the message actually says - and it indicated that I was to find shelter IMMEDIATELY. Then we heard from the school that they weren't releasing the students or busses until the warning had been lifted so I had to decide whether or not it was safer to drive quickly to the school site and pick Ethan up or keep him there in their allegedly safe building.

What's the first thing a sane person does after receiving a tornado warning? Go outside and take a picture. 

Love that the rainbow ended in our pasture. Barry said we must have leprechauns running all around :)

Fast forward to the evening. Tornado warning lifted; rain, wind and navy blue colored clouds (I kid you not). Dogs on high alert. Pacing. Cat, hiding under the table (the only smart one).

We started a fire in our fireplace (first one!) and I lit a bunch of candles (not uncommon for me to do). Weather calmed. Rain slowed. Enter darkness. Power gone. Huh again?? It wasn't even windy!!

But, we got to sit around with candles and soft lighting until our eyelids gave out and we all went to bed early.

Happy to report power came back on a few minutes before I left for work this morning. Let's keep it that way.

Note: Lest you think I'm in total shock and awe over this less-than-12-hour power outtage, I will assure you that I grew up on the northern CA coast and am all too familar with what REAL power outtages entail. That being said, those outtages were generally following tremendous wind and rain. As I explained to the boys last night, I can remember being without power for 14 days once. Yeah, THAT was a good time. 

Time to restock candles. Calling Uncle Matt and Aunt Charly for more Bell Springs Candle Works candles (the BEST candles. Ever. And I'm not biased).

Peace Out :)


4 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! Power outages suck.... and then there's BS which is one big power outage.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those power outages... a mixed bag of "fun and adventure" and also a "pain in the neck".
    The candles were nice, though.

    ReplyDelete