Sunday, August 12, 2012

The boy is home!

Ah yes, we are complete yet again. We picked Ethan up from the airport last night after being gone for the past two months. Is it possible that he grew a foot while gone? I am rapidly becoming the shortest in the family. I've still got a few inches on him, but I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of his seventh grade year, he passes me up.

We spent much of the night last night pouring over his treasures from his adventures with Papa and Bushia. What a great time he had! All kinds of stories to tell us along with an awesome array of new weapons to add to his collection; he's quite the outdoorsman. As I type, he and Barry are off in the "back 40" trying to determine exactly where they are going to set up camp for their last few days of summer. Since we started looking at this house, all they could talk about was "surviving" in the forest behind the pasture. And seriously, why not? While we aren't permitting a fire, there is PLENTY to keep them occupied. As of late, we have discovered 6 more cherry plum trees scattered throughout the pasture and forest as well as wild grapes and all of the blackberries a person could EVER eat. Of course, they are determined to hunt and catch something. *Shudder*....the very thought creeps me out. Ground squirrel just doesn't have the same appeal as a nice piece of chicken.

In an effort to keep the heat out of the house today (eh-hem....107 degrees, thank you very much),  I cooked our pizza on the grill outside. First time trying this, though I've heard oh so much about it in all of it's trendiness. I understand the thrill now! Although, standing on the deck outside in the heat of the day brings all new meaning to "slaving over a hot stove". Cus I was dying just a little. But it was really good. So I'll look past the sweating and burning of eyebrows. Just kidding. Eyebrows are still intact.

Boys just returned from their trek outside. It would appear that the camp spot has been determined and the plan is set for the morning. They are equipped with top ramen (which they will eat raw), jerky, granola bars, water and soup which they plan to heat in the house then stick in thermoses to eat at a later date. Never mind that fact that we are expecting triple digits all week. And loads and loads of fruit. ALLLLL they can pick. Hiking to and from the camp spot in this heat has left them smelling...er - divine. I can only imagine after two or three days. Ay yi yi!

Until then....

Peace out.

5 comments:

  1. With all that fruit, I hope they took toilet paper with them.
    So glad to hear (and not surprised) that they are off on their adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha i laughed out loud when i read this...told Boo and Ethel that Bushia was concerned about their fruit intake in the wild ;)....they didn't make it all night tonight...too hot! 109 is pretty miserable

      Delete
  2. You never told me you were writing this blog! All I knew about was the tea one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, i wasn't super confident in this one, but people were asking about my cooking projects so i thought maybe that was my chance to get it up and going again. :)

    ReplyDelete