Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pile o' Corn Dogs and Fancy-Pants Potatoes

Food should be fun. At least, in my way of thinking. I'm all about trying to cut calories, eat heart healthy and be conscious of my fat intake. However, there are some things you just can't skimp on. And fun, in this instance, comes in the form of corn dog bites. If you are looking for a whimsical, blue-day-fighting, make you revert to childhood, comfort food, this is your new favorite. Paired with my Fancy-Pants Potatoes...and a huge Chef Salad, not too shabby a meal! 

Pile o' Corn Dogs

Yet another picture.... 
Fancy-Pants Potatoes

See the yummy toasted tops?
.
The genius of this meal (if I do says so myself), was that I made tons of extras so now I have the potatoes prepared and frozen individually so that all I have to do is pull a few out, thaw and toast up again. Same thought process with the corn dogs. Around our house, there are nights when I don't want to cook (what???)...we call those Yo-Yo nights (You're on your own). Instead of buying the extremely expensive and less healthy (is there a "more healthy" corn dog?) Foster Farms from the freezer section, now the boys just heat up the ones I already made! Ta-Da! Convenience food at it's best. 

Yes, there was a salad. No, I didn't take pictures. But they were big. I made the boys (hubs included) eat a GIANT salad before they could have their heart attack inducing other dinner. Tricky mama. They were close to full by the time they got to corn dogs and potatoes!! And THAT is how you cut down on the calorie intake :). 

So wrapping up; food should be fun. Food shouldn't be a chore. I think it's important to have the little indulgences every once in a while. No, it's not great for you but neither is ice cream and you don't see me cutting that out! Everything in moderation balanced with solid eating habits is my mantra. 

I thought about posting the recipes I used (I would have to kind of fudge as I don't measure when I cook/bake), but didn't know if a.) anyone is even remotely interested and b.) Don't want anyone to assume that I necessarily know what I'm talking about....this is just how we do it in our home. Feedback please!

Forgot to check my meal calendar before I left for work this morning....so dinner is a surprise! Which reminds me, I never shared a picture of my Family Organization Center. Finally finished it (for the most part). Tonight. (And you can believe me because I've been following through with my promises!).

Peace Out :)

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! You are an inspiration!
    Come cook for us.... please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, those pictures look awfully yummy! Way to go, Mama Bear. you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DO know what you are talking about! A lot more than I do anyway! Food, as you know, is not my forte..... Those potato things? What is mashed in with them? Is it bacon?
    I agree - everything in moderation . Except pizza and homemade chocolate cake.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!! I'm trying! @Graciewilde, yes, they have bacon in them. I cooked up three pieces then chopped them really fine and after mashing the potatoes, I added that as well as about 1/4 cup of sharp cheddar...among other things :)

    ReplyDelete