Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Barn...and assorted fruit

There really aren't too many pics available on my phone of the property thus far. I mainly haven't had the time to run around outside snapping the pictures. That and it's been so crazy hot, no one in their right mind would spend more than 3 minutes outside by choice. Tops. 
This is not a normal temperature. What does it tell you that I'm looking forward to only being at 101?
 When we closed escrow, we knew there were lots of fruit trees on the property. However, because we were coming off winter and, let's just be honest here, neither Chad or myself are what one would call "tree experts", we patiently waited to see what would come. How lucky were we to have such awesome fruit already there and mature??
One of our few "full sized" plum trees

Teeny, tiny olive on our HUGE olive tree. Really not sure how we're going to get them down. 

One of two heavily producing apple trees

Very old grape vines that are growing along the front fence

Originally, we thought this was our only cherry plum tree. Ya. Right. Maybe the only one within 20 feet from the house. 

You have heard mention of my bee-you-tiful barn. It is adorned with a gorgeous Crape Myrtle and in the spring, there was a wonderful yellow rose bush that was also climbing the fence next to the barn. To the left of this picture is where I will be setting up my garden. In about 10 years. You know, when life slows down. To the right is the biggest patch of rosemary known to man. Which soon will be a much smaller patch. In fact, it will likely be non-existent. Whoever owned this house before us seriously loved their rosemary. It's everywhere. Ev-ery-where. 
Rustic
 Last on the tour today will be the front yard. The picture below was taken just after we finished adding the fencing. That was a hot day too. Of course, that's also when my frame of reference for hot was that it was 102 outside. I'll take 102 right now.

Front yard complete with fencing
We need to add quite a few different fruit trees. We didn't get a picture of our Asian Pear or Apricot tree. Also, there is a Kumquat tree, but we don't know if it's producing as we missed the cycle this year. I'm in the market for more pear trees along with cherry. Wouldn't reject another apricot and/or peach. And pluot. Oh yum, I love me some pluots. And mandarin. And lime. And lemon. That's all. That's not too much, right? Anyone know of a good place to buy trees that aren't tiny? And don't require a second mortgage?

Peace Out :)

4 comments:

  1. Erin, you know, don 't you. that Michael is very knowledgeable about all things fruit trees - including grafting? I know he would be happy to share any information that he can about the selection and care of such things -- he actually makes jam and/or cans fruit in the summer to deal with the abundant harvest.
    YOur place looks beautiful. I don't know how you manage it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about that! I would love to pick his brain...Grafting is definitely something we're interested in, especially with things like cherries and pears. I was on a huge canning kick last summer with all the fruit we were getting from farmer's market; we're still making our way through my cinnamon plum/pluot jam :)....I hope we can get this place to it's full potential. I know it will be a long time before it gets there, but luckily we have a good canvas to start with! Come visit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to - and will you be here for the labor Day thing? Bring questions for Michael!

      Delete
  3. Yes, we will be there....bringing cupcakes and some sort of appetizer to share :)

    ReplyDelete