Monday, August 13, 2012

I told you I'd post pics!

Pause for effect....Ta-da! I told you I'd get them one way or another. Now, I must beg for forgiveness as the quality is not what one would consider wonderful; the words sub-par or mediocre come to mind. But, that's what you get when you are using a camera on your phone. I have yet to set up my point and shoot camera with this computer. Somehow feels so daunting a task. That or I'm lazy. That is certainly an option as well.

Here go my pics. Be excited.

Really.

Homemade English Muffins. That's right....Cooking on the cast iron
 English Muffins were first on my list of things to attempt. Of course, I was absolutely unwilling to go to all that effort and make a ton if they weren't any good. Silly me. They were amazing. Now I have to make eleventy-billion (yes, that's a LOT) and freeze them. However, I will make them smaller next go around. Because they are homemade, they were a little denser than the store bought ones and therefore, more filling. Which is good. Oh, and they made awesome individual pizzas.
YUM! Cooked English Muffins!
Mmmmm....see how pretty they are all brown and crispy?

Soft crusted sandwich bread. Suuuuper yummy
Sandwich bread is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to save money. Buying bread can get expensive unless you want to eat that white sponge cheap bread. And that is really not even bread. This is way better. And can be made as white, wheat or buttermilk. Or multi-grain. Or honey-wheat. Or rye. Or sourdough. You get the picture.

Homemade hamburger buns topped with parmesan and poppy seeds
Made a TON of these and froze the buns before I cooked them. Now all I have to do is pull out the number I need for dinner and let them thaw and rise....Stick them in the oven for about fifteen minutes and voila! Fresh hamburger buns! And, no wasted extra buns. Because I never have 8 people at the house.

Buttermilk biscuits about to head into the oven
I love biscuits. With butter. With honey. Just plain. These were mainly for my work breakfast.

Breakfast pizza! Biscuit crust topped with sausage and cheddar cheese. Excellent quick morning breakfast :)
Going to tweak this recipe. Used turkey sausage in an effort to lighten the calorie load but of course hubs figured it out. Next we will use regular fat-filled sausage. May try pepperjack though. He likes spicy.

Cheeseburger wraps grilled then frozen for lunches
These I am very excited about. The technique is just about as simple as it looks. I took ground beef and browned it. Added salt, pepper, onion, Worcestershire, spicy mustard and ketchup and combined in the pan. Next, grabbed extra large flour tortillas and put a little shredded cheddar cheese in the middle. Topped with a spoonful of the beef mixture and rolled like a burrito. NEXT, I went to the George Foreman and laid those bad-boys down and let them flatten and brown. Portable cheeseburgers! And they reheated beautifully. In fact, Chad has eaten all the extras I put in the freezer. Time to whip up some more!

Chili Colorado Smothered Burritos. OMG. 
This was my baby. My one true love. It was just that amazing. And I don't even really like shredded beef. I found the recipe on Pinterest (of course) and adapted it a little to our family. I believe it called for stew meat or something equivalent, but I had a small roast in the freezer, so I used that instead. I cut it into large chunks and stuck it in the crockpot with a can of enchilada sauce (medium) and a small can of spicy enchilada sauce along with a few beef bouillon cubes. For my family, I added garlic and onion powder (Chad doesn't like "chunks" in his meat...so I disguise everything by using the ground up versions), chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes and a dash of jalepeno/chipotle rub I have in the cabinets. Let that simmer all day, then when I was ready, grabbed HUGE tortillas and took the meat out of the sauce and shredded it. Dolloped some refried black beans on the tortilla, some meat then jack cheese....Rolled, smothered in the enchilada sauce that was still in the crock-pot and added more cheese. Stick in the broiler until bubbly and hot. Add some homemade Mexican rice on the side?? Divine. That's all I have to say about it.


So it does make me a little proud that these were the pics from my crazy cooking weekend I wrote of a few posts back. The pictures are just a little behind, but now you know I was telling the truth. Now that this new-fangled (spelling??) contraption - i.e. phone with camera and computer - are hooked up and speaking to each other, I hope to be more diligent about keeping y'all updated on my goings on. 

Er - Ongoings? 

What I'm doing. There, that works. 

Phew. I'm tired. 

Peace Out :)






6 comments:

  1. See, not all of my time is spent on Pinterest....Or at least the time that IS spent is being filed away for future projects, both cooking and home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Erin! That sounds great! Can't wait to come visit! 'Ya know instead of adding "ground onion or garlic powder" which is actually really not that great for you by the time it gets dried and out in the bottle. Try GRATIN them. It makes them into a really fine liquid almost and you get the flavor and the healthiness without the chunks! Watch out for the onion though. you think cutting it makes your eyes water! this is really bad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, that's a good idea. I've done that with a few recipes but didn't think to do it with the Chili Colorado. I have as of late been sneaking all kinds of veggies in their food ;)....roasted sweet potatoes and squash that have been pureed are an easy hide in tomato based dinners.

    ReplyDelete