Wednesday, January 9, 2013

#gooddaughteraward

Eh-hem. Yup, you read that hash tag correct. GOOD DAUGHTER!! No, but really.

Over Christmas break, Hubs, kids, dogs and I made the trek to my parent's house in the Northern Sierras. Think ice, cold and snow. And more cold.

So one thing I have started really taking pride in is my ability to meal plan and prep food for multiple meals. Occasionally such pride gets me in trouble when someone approaches me asking for help to which I stammer and worry endlessly that I'll screw up their food or that my ideas a stupid or some other nonsensical concern.

My parents are on a [fairly] strict diet mainly consisting of Vegan fare, though Vegetarian is ok and occasional white meat still makes it to their plates. Due to various health reasons and life choices, this is what they are up against. My household - as you can plainly see - is not so much in Vegan-world. And that's fine! If it were up to me, we'd go meatless at least once/week but Hubs might would have a small heart attack at the mere notion of something non red meat related.
Meat? Good. Potatoes? Good. Me like meat. 
Ah, but I digress (love you Hubs! Xo). So my big Christmas gift to them this year was to go shopping and give them the gift of food. I planned meals and shopped accordingly, wrapping non-perishables in a   box decked out with ribbon and wrapping paper while stuffing refrigerated items in a cooler and placing a red bow on top. When they opened it, they were ecstatic thinking I had grocery shopped for them. I mean, who doesn't want to avoid the grocery store if possible?? But then I elaborated, explaining that the next day I would prep ALL of the food and put it in their (newly purchased) freezer. Cue #gooddaughteraward.

I didn't stick to primarily Vegan or Vegetarian, but a lot was. Here's what they got:

  • (4) Spicy Black Bean Soup (homemade beans and Vegan)
  • (4) 4 Bean Chili (homemade beans and Vegan)
  • (4) Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce (Vegan)
  • (4) trays of Chicken/Black Bean/Green Chili Enchiladas (not Vegan)
  • (2) Creamy Tomato Soup w/ Cheese Tortellini (Vegetarian)
  • (2) large trays of Garden Vegetable Rotini (Vegetarian)
  • (6) Containers of Pinto Beans (homemade and Vegan)
  • (20) Rice/Bean/Chicken Burritos wrapped in foil for quick lunch or dinner
Mmmmm...Sauteed veggies for the pasta

Tri-color Rotini tossed with above veggies and topped with Parmesan and Mozzarella. Just need to bake it!
4 trays of enchiladas. Perfect serving size for 2

4 bags of 5 burritos each ready to be heated, 2 trays of pasta and 4 enchiladas

Neatly labeled (thanks painter's tape!)

Fully stocked freezer :)
I will add links to the recipes soon so you can make them at home. Super easy and healthy!

Per mom and dad: The enchiladas were great! Yay!!

Peace Out :)

3 comments:

  1. Such an amazing gift! I am STILL BRAGGING to everyone who will listen about my amazing daughter (and hubs) and the INCREDIBLE Christmas present. Yes, it's true, I thought the groceries were great, but I nearly keeled over when she said she was going to prepare all the meals too! Now we are just hoping we can get her to come back at least once a season to restock our freezer! (hint hint)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hint duly noted. Once it's grilling season you can do SO much with different marinades and having them freeze...mmmmmmmm

      Delete
  2. I can tell you for a fact that the 'rents LOVED it - your mom was knocked over - I dont' think you could have imagined a better gift for her! and you need to start planning NOW for her birthday - March 15th - perfect time to restock that freezer.

    ReplyDelete