Thursday, February 28, 2013

Ditch digging and tree branch hitting

Hubs was so excited to put Claude the Trackhoe to work this past weekend. We have a large pasture that is boggy due to the lack of draining off excessive water. Since burning the blackberries and the water grass, all he has talked about is helping to allow it to drain properly into the area at the bottom of the hill. This area is where we plan to put a pond. Of course, that is about 43 years down the road, but at least we have plans.

How does tree branch hitting fit into this whole work day? Well, I'm glad you asked. Last week, Hubs had a procedure on his head resulting in a handful of stitches and a quite tender surgery location. Ignoring explicit orders from the doctor to "take it easy for a few days", he got up the next morning and proceeded to excavate the entire property. There are two things I am thankful for right now. Well - three technically. First, I'm thankful he's ok. Let's start with that. Second, I'm thankful he followed directions enough to keep it covered for a few days. And third, I'm thankful I wasn't there to see this. Evidently, whilst traipsing around on Claude, a thick tree branch got caught and swung back. He didn't see this happen as he was watching the tracks to make sure he didn't get stuck. Said branch flung back and with full force hit him directly on his wound. I am certain the colorful words that came from his mouth following this would shame any sailor.

Proud Hubs after some clearing

Good thing Claude can handle that mud!

Creating drainage

Already the water is moving better

Checking it all out 


BUT - he's ok. And wound seems ok too. Believe me, I was VERY careful when changing the dressing. The good news is that he is getting more comfortable on the trackhoe and therefore, more and more pleased with how it works and what it can do. I'm certain he'll go back out there again this weekend and work on the pond. Me? I can't WAIT for that day. With the valley heat, a nice pond will be refreshing.

Peace Out :)

6 comments:

  1. I have 75-plus stitches in my chest from a similar surgical procedure, the day before yesterday. Annie keeps a sharp watch on me, though, and will not allow me to do anything that may jeopardize those stitches. Tell the Chadster to knock off work, long enough to let his surgery heal!
    Timely post, Mama Bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard you had a similar procedure. I hope you are healing well. We go back to the doctor tomorrow and he will hopefully give his blessing to allow for no more cover-up of the wound. He seems to be doing much better. He definitely learned his lesson after Saturday. Stuck to meandering around the house for the rest of the weekend.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear things are on the mend. I am doing better than I thought, and I attribute that to Annie's watchful eye. :)

      Delete
    3. He's all better. Just waiting for the scar to fade a little. I'm glad to hear your recovery was better than planned.

      Delete
  2. Oh my word! Glad to hear he is okay. Seriously, some people need a tie-down! I am excited about your pond! When I was at that conference in Oklahoma earlier this month, I saw a presentation from someone at UC Berkeley talking about cost-share programs for land owners who provide habitat improvement in riparian areas (ponds, streams, etc) It might be something you could take advantage of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to check that out! If you have info on it, let me know :). And yes, I can't WAIT for the pond. It will be so nice!

      Delete