Thursday, February 7, 2013

Big burn day

Our pasture is great. About 13 of our 25 acres are in pasture. What wasn't so great? The tremendous amount of blackberries that were starting to take over. That and water grass. The house and property had been neglected for years, so unfortunately, we have a lot of work ahead of us to bring it back to it's former glory.

A few months ago our neighbor (the owner of the cows, mules and horses) sprayed our blackberries with something that would kill them thus allowing for us to burn them in the late winter/early fall. This is something that will have to be repeated for several years, but each year the intrusion of blackberries will be less.

Over the weekend, Hubs and boys spent the day wandering up and down the hill carrying the torch and propane. I had spent the day doing my once/month shopping and prepping so fortunately  unfortunately, I missed the flames in all their glory. I'm not sad about this. I'm sure I would have been hyperventilating. Hubs grabbed the camera, but seeing as he was busy tending the HUGE flames, he only got a few before and after pictures of the property.
Lovely dead blackberries and water grass

No more blackberries! But now ugly patches :(

Waiting on the cows to come over and stomp these spots down

Smoldering 

Water grass before

Looks like we had some sort of accident

Bye bye water grass

Just finishing up
So now I have to remind myself that the patches were intentional and I need to remember what the end goal is. I'm told that the cows (when they come back over) will smash the little blackberries that may come up and they will somewhat turn over the burned portion of the ground. I hope so! Luckily, spring is coming so hopefully the grass will grow back. 

Just another day on the farm!

Peace Out :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Scary. I don't blame you for not being there. If something had gone wrong???!!

    ReplyDelete